Free Online Consultation





Flight from Peace officer (s. 320.17 Charges in Canada: Offences, Defences, Punishments

Flight from a peace officer falls under section 320.17 of the Criminal Code of Canada. It prohibits a person from fleeing from a peace officer while operating a motor vehicle, as it is deemed a criminal offence. This offence is committed when a driver intentionally avoids stopping their vehicle without a justifiable reason, with the aim of escaping the police officer. Flight from a ...

Transfer of Firearm Without Authority (s. 101) Charges in Canada: Offences, Defences, Punishments

What is a Transfer of Firearm Without Authority Charge? Transfer of firearm without authority is covered under s. 101 of the Criminal Code found in Part III, which covers “Firearms and Other Weapons”. A transfer of firearm without authority arises when a person is found to have transferred a firearm, prohibited or restricted weapon, device or ammunition, to another without authority to do ...

Extradition Treaties: Which Countries Have Extradition Treaties with Canada?

What is an extradition treaty? Extradition treaties are an essential tool relative to international law enforcement. They allow different countries to cooperate in the transfer of custody of persons accused or convicted of crimes in various jurisdictions (across borders) for the purpose of prosecution and/or incarceration. Extradition treaties play a pivotal role in facilitating this cooperation, establishing the legal framework and procedures ...

Canada’s National Sex Offender Registry

Canada’s National Sex Offender Registry (NSOR) is a byproduct of the Sex Offender Information Registration Act (SOIRA). In short, NSOR is a database which stores readily accessible data for Canadian policing agencies about convicted persons of certain “designated offences”. The purpose of NSOR as described by Parliament is to “help police services prevent and investigate crimes of a sexual nature by requiring the ...

I was given documents saying I have to go to court. Do I have to go?

If you have received documents that indicate that you have to go to court, you have to go. failure to attend court on the date set out in your release document will likely result in you being charged with the criminal offence of failing to appear; in addition, a warrant will issue for your arrest. If you have received a subpoena that indicates that you ...

Go to Top