About Michael Oykhman
I am a senior lawyer at Savage Oykhman Law (an association of independent practices) and am the Founder of Oykhman Criminal Defence, a Full-Service Criminal Law firm with central law offices across Western Canada and Ontario. My professional experience consists of countless court appearances and thousands of successful defences and satisfied clients. Over the last 10 years, I have worked to build a law office where all the lawyers share our collective experience, resources, and passion to help people. Our team approach to legal representation is client–rather than only law–centered. We look for opportunities to add value to our clients through strategic thinking and creative solutions.
Not every case is won through trial. In fact, the best results are often achieved through alternative resolution strategies, so that the matter never gets to trial. Although I am trained as a trial lawyer, I prefer to be viewed as a problem solver. My goal is to provide each and every client with the top quality of care and the best result possible.
In my professional legal career, I have successfully defended hundreds upon hundreds of criminal cases. I have appeared at all levels of court in Alberta, including at the Supreme Court of Canada. I am also currently the Advising Lawyer for Student Legal Assistance, a non-profit organization of law students at the University of Calgary dedicated to providing legal services and access to justice to low-income individuals.
Credentials & Associations
As a Criminal Defence Lawyer I am always striving to learn more about my field. The following are the most recent educational and informational conferences in which I have either participated or presented, and the organizations I belong to:
- University of Calgary Law School Trial Advocacy Annual Instructor – 2017-Present
- University of Calgary First Year Crime Guest Lecturer – 2016/17/18
- University of Calgary Law 688 Clinical Practice Guest Lecturer – 2018/19
- Criminal Defence Lawyers Association Education Director – 2016
- Student Legal Assistance Criminal Law Boot Camp (Annual Presenter)
- Student Legal Assistance Impaired Driving Conference (Presenter)
- Student Legal Assistance Charter Notice Seminar (Presenter)
- Student Legal Assistance Trial Advocacy Seminar (Annual Presenter)
- Student Legal Assistance Domestic Violence Defence (Presenter)
- Court Trial Confirmation Sentencing Presentation (Presenter)
- Legal Education Society of Alberta Impaired Driving Conference (Presenter)
- Criminal Defence Lawyers Association Impaired Driving Seminars
- Criminal Defence Lawyers Association Sexual Assault Seminars
- 43rd and 45th National Criminal Law Conference
- Police Interrogation and Evidence Gathering Techniques Seminar
- Intoxilyzer Breath Alcohol Testing Conference
- Criminal Trial Lawyers Association Conference
- Active Member of Calgary Bar Association
- Active Member of the Criminal Defence Lawyers Association
- Active Member of the Criminal Trial Lawyers Association
- Active Member of the British Columbia Trial Lawyers Association
- Active Member of the Law Society of British Columbia and Alberta
Education and Awards
I obtained a Bachelor of Law Degree from the University of Calgary in 2006 with the following distinctions:
- Crown Association Prize (top grade in first year criminal law)
- Gale Cup Moot Competition finalist (first ever finalist finish for UofC)
I obtained a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology, with a minor in English from the University of Calgary in 2003. Along the way, I received the following distinctions:
- Suncor Energy Scholarship
- Louise McKinney Scholarship
- Jason Lang Scholarship
Areas of Practice
- DUI Offences
- Violent Offences
- Sexual Offences
- Property Offences
- Drug Offences
- Criminal Driving Offences
- Bachelor of Law Degree from the University of Calgary
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology
Excellent service! I would highly recommend going with this team. If I ever need assistance with anything of this manner again, I wouldn’t hesitate to call or email the team at Oykhman Criminal Defence again.
Everyone was very professional and understanding. They explained everything and put me at ease. Any question I had were answered right. If you need help I’d highly recommend this law firm.
Without hesitation, I would recommend Elizabeth Weisenburger to defend anyone in a criminal case. Her unrivalled knowledge of the law helped me be acquitted of assault charges. Elizabeth’s hard work and amazing strategy in court and under pressure far surpass any expectations I had. She is professional, non-judgmental and she looks out for her clients best interest. Thank you.
Elizabeth and team did a phenomenal job in looking after my case. As I wasn’t familiar at all with the whole process, she educated me and made everything extremely easy from start to finish. I received excellent value for her service and would wholeheartedly recommend Elizabeth and the rest of the team at the firm. Thank you so much, Elizabeth!
I am thankful to have had Elizabeth Weisenburger work on my case. Throughout the entire process Elizabeth demonstrated professionalism, knowledge, high attention to detail, and was very efficient in resolving my case with a positive outcome. I would highly recommend the law services of Elizabeth Weisenburger.