A Criminal Defence Lawyer’s Top 5 Tips For Fighting An Impaired Driving Charge
- If you are pulled over while driving impaired, the most important thing you can do is co-operate with the police and comply with their demands, especially when they are testing your sobriety. If you are resistant and fail to follow their instructions, you may be charged with obstruction or “refusal,” which may make your case harder to defend. If you are charged with a refusal you will face the same jeopardy as if you were charged with “over 80,” but there will actually have fewer defences available to you than if you had provided the police with a sample of your breath.
- If you are arrested and charged with an impaired driving offence, you will likely receive documents instructing you to attend a police station for fingerprinting and to attend court. Do as instructed by these documents and appear where and when you are required to do so. If you fail to attend fingerprinting or court, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and you may be charged with the additional offence of failing to appear.
- If you have been arrested and charged, write down everything that happened in as much detail as possible. This detailed statement will help your lawyer identify potential defences and help you recall events that you may have to speak to if you need to take the stand in your own defence.
- Immediately call our office so that we can start working on your case. Do not delay in choosing and hiring a lawyer, as your court date is likely coming up fast. If you wait too long to choose a lawyer, you may have to adjourn or set your matter to a later date to obtain counsel, or to allow your counsel time to prepare before speaking to your charges. This will only prolong the time that you will have a criminal charge affecting your life.
- Do not be afraid or ashamed to talk to your defence lawyer if you struggle with alcohol dependency or substance abuse. If the charges were the result of an ongoing struggle with alcohol or drug addiction, you may be suitable for a curative discharge if you are willing to take significant, positive steps to address your problem. A curative discharge will not only help you avoid a criminal record; it will also help you with the steps you will have to take in order to apply for the discharge and address and overcome the addiction that led to your charges in the first place.
About The Author
Ask A Question
We endeavor to respond to questions within 24 hours. If your matter is urgent, please call our office or submit a request for a free consultation.
Michael Oykhman is a very professional lawyer and the first time I spoke to him he asked about my situation and he gave me some very helpful advice and assistance and also told me his odds of winning this case. During the days I was in contact with micheal I could feel the level of professionalism of him and his team, he is able to respond back to you with any questions you have within 24 hours. In the end he was as successful in helping me win my case as he had initially promised me.If you are still struggling to find a lawyer, I highly recommend Michael Oykhman.
Please give yourself a favour and contact Mr. Michael Oykhman if you need any legal advice or if you are in a terrible situation. Even-tough, the odds are not in your favour, still they will go extra miles to help you out in bad situation and get you favourable outcome. Moreover, They will work on your file even after the business hours. I don’t have words to say thanks to Mr. Michael oykhman and Kiran Cheema who had worked on my file and get me out of trouble. I’m very grateful for your assistance and exceptional service. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
I am grateful that Ms. Moira McAvoy was my lawyer, and I remain thankful to her for everything. She made a successful resolution to my case possible. Ms. Moira McAvoy is a professional, trustworthy lawyer, and a compassionate person. She is an excellent listener and knowledgeable of the law. From the start, she was an excellent guide. I did not know anything about the legal system and court, and she outlined everything clearly in advance, so I could understand things. She never rushed me through anything. She spoke clearly, explained everything, considered what I said, and provided options and advice. She kept me up to date on new information, requirements, and deadlines. She was always positive and this helped so much.
Ryan Patmore and his team are simply the best. I was bullied by CPS in 2020 and it landed me with three separate charges, assault, refusal to blow and DUI, which all went down as I was parked at a friends. After some research and a conversation with Michael, he directed me towards Ryan and at the time I didn’t know that would be a game changer in my favour! He is honest, transparent, helpful and a brilliant mind. He successfully appealed my license suspension with ATSB and then proceeded to get the crown to dismiss all my charges before trial. I never had to step foot inside a courtroom. If you are in need of a criminal defence lawyer, don’t think twice, get in touch with this firm and ask for Ryan Patmore! The guy is an absolute saviour.
Joseph Beller, from the very beginning when I first contacted and then retained Joseph as my representative I felt I was in good hands. When I emailed him with a question. I got a prompt response. We communicated often on the phone as needed. Joseph kept me informed as to the process. He made sure I knew all the potential results so I knew and could plan for the different outcomes. I know this his his job. But appreciate his professionalism and also his ability to not make me feel any extra stress. Well done.