About Ian Savage
I am the senior criminal defence lawyer at Savage Oykhman Law (an association of independent law practices). Together with Strategic Criminal Defence, we are a Full Service Criminal Defence Law Office, with central offices in Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto.
I have dedicated the last 25 of my 30 years practicing law to Criminal Law exclusively. In that time, I have personally successfully defended thousands of people across Alberta and Saskatchewan. Few lawyers have had the ability and honour to help such a wide range of people in need, and I’m proud to be among them. I apply this accumulated wealth of successful experience to every case and every client.
In my career, I have appeared at all levels of Court in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and at the Supreme Court of Canada. The long list of reported cases in which I have appeared has helped shape the developing law surrounding the “right to counsel” and “search and seizure” in Alberta and perhaps across Canada.
Beyond the courtroom, I constantly strive to remain at the forefront of new legal developments in criminal law. To that end, I have presented at (or attended) numerous legal conferences, including the following;
- Co-Chair, Criminal Defence Lawyers Association Seminar, “Send Lawyers, Guns And Money: Hot Topics For Stone Cold Lawyers Part 2” (Calgary), May 2015
- Co-Chair and Presenter, Criminal Defence Lawyers Association Seminar, “Sex, Drugs and Alcohol: Hot Topics For Stone Cold Lawyers” (Calgary), June 2014
- Co-Chair and Presenter, Criminal Defence Lawyers Association Seminar, “(Don’t) Just Tell Me What I Want To Hear: Police Interrogation and False Confessions” (Calgary), June 2013,
- Presenter, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Blood Sweat and Tears” (Edmonton), March 2013
- Co-Chair, Presenter and Panelist, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Impaired Driving – The Changing Landscape” (Calgary), September 2012 –Papers: * “Care and Control – The Twilight Zone of Impaired Driving Law”
- Presenter, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Law and Practice Update” (Edmonton), November 2011
- Presenter and Panelist, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Criminal Law Boot Camp” (Calgary), May 2010
- Presenter and Panelist, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Impaired Driving” (Calgary and Edmonton), June 2006
- Presenter and Panelist, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Impaired Driving” (Calgary and Edmonton), March 2003
- Instructor, Legal Education Society of Alberta Bar Admission Course, Various Criminal Law Topics, 2000 – 2005
- Participant, Calgary Police Service Recruit Class Mock Trial Program, 2000 – 2005
- Informal Advisor on Impaired Driving and Annual Seminar Presenter, Student Legal Assistance, University of Calgary Faculty of Law, 2000 – present
- Occasional Coach and Volunteer Judge, University of Calgary, Faculty of Law, Moot Court and Mock Trial Program, 1995 – 2000
- Part-time Instructor, Mount Royal College Department of Criminology, Adult Learning Programs, Drumheller and Calgary, 1993 – 1995, 1997
- Author, “Systemic Discrimination and Section 15 of the Charter”, Vol. 50:1 Saskatchewan Law Review (1985 – 1986)
- Student Editor-in-Chief, Saskatchewan Law Review, 1985 – 1986
Perhaps most notably, I am currently the president of the Criminal Defence Lawyer’s Association (Calgary), and have been so since 2013. In my capacity as president I am fortunate to have access to—and some influence over—the inner workings of the court system and processes, as well as being able to help shape the latest plans and policies that affect accused persons across the whole province. My unique position means I am frequently called upon by print, radio, and TV media to comment on headlines and issues surrounding criminal law. A recent cross-section of such commentary is as follows:
I am not just a lawyer. I am also passionate about the broader community, actively participating in the arts, sports, and other philanthropic endeavors. But above all, my primary calling and responsibility is to my clients. I see my role as not only giving people a second chance, but also protecting them from the oppressive power of the state. I pride myself in zealously defending my client’s constitutionally protected rights to the fullest, no matter how difficult the case. In every case, my primary focus is on finding and employing every angle and every available defence. I can’t promise the best bedside manner, but I can promise I will vigorously defend your case to the fullest extent of the law.
Contact me for a Free Consultation and judge for yourself.
- Measures being taken to reduce inmate populations, says defence lawyer
- COVID-19 spending package and Big Brother Canada; In The News for March 17
- ‘Sit in jail and wait:’ Legal experts worried about coronavirus court delays
- Criminal lawyers’ groups call on new justice minister to reform the provincial Police Act
- Calgary officer resigns prior to possible disciplinary action after arrest
- Family vaccine legal disputes loom amid COVID-19 court disruptions: lawyer
Michael Oykhman is a very professional lawyer and the first time I spoke to him he asked about my situation and he gave me some very helpful advice and assistance and also told me his odds of winning this case. During the days I was in contact with micheal I could feel the level of professionalism of him and his team, he is able to respond back to you with any questions you have within 24 hours. In the end he was as successful in helping me win my case as he had initially promised me.If you are still struggling to find a lawyer, I highly recommend Michael Oykhman.
Please give yourself a favour and contact Mr. Michael Oykhman if you need any legal advice or if you are in a terrible situation. Even-tough, the odds are not in your favour, still they will go extra miles to help you out in bad situation and get you favourable outcome. Moreover, They will work on your file even after the business hours. I don’t have words to say thanks to Mr. Michael oykhman and Kiran Cheema who had worked on my file and get me out of trouble. I’m very grateful for your assistance and exceptional service. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Laura Bobyn my lawyer was amazing and so supportive of my case and me. She fought with Tenacity to get my victory. It was amazing to hear how knowledgeable and how her attention to every little detail of my case was shown in her defence! She is the best and I would recommend her to anyone of my colleagues or people in my life! Thank you, Laura!
This law firm is your go-to!
I had the pleasure of working and trusting my case with Joseph Beller. I had 2 counts against me, and in the end, Joseph was able to present and use his “fighter skills” in court to have my charges lowered to a conditional discharge. On top of this, this firm follows its mission values statement by being ethical, transparent, available, and very friendly. Joseph and his team treated me with the utmost respect from start to finish. Thank you again, Joseph! I hope to never call you again 😊
Joseph Beller, from the very beginning when I first contacted and then retained Joseph as my representative I felt I was in good hands. When I emailed him with a question. I got a prompt response. We communicated often on the phone as needed. Joseph kept me informed as to the process. He made sure I knew all the potential results so I knew and could plan for the different outcomes. I know this his his job. But appreciate his professionalism and also his ability to not make me feel any extra stress. Well done.