About Rick Muenz
I am an experienced and dedicated advocate, having practiced criminal law exclusively since 1993. I have appeared in all levels of court across Canada, defending charges ranging from mischief to murder. I am currently an active member of the Law Society of Alberta, but I also have 30 years of experience successfully defending cases in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and the Yukon Territory. My professional legal experience includes countless acquittals, resolutions, court appearances, and satisfied clients.
Approach to Advocacy
My extensive background in criminal law enables me to be efficient yet meticulous with every case I work on. My goal is to advocate for my client’s best interests. I will work tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
While I am passionate about defending any type of criminal charge, I currently focus my practice on sexual assault cases. I am an annual Guest Lecturer at the University of Calgary Faculty of Law for the Advanced Criminal Law course, where I present on the nuances of sexual assault law. My experience is invaluable in defending sexual assault charges, which are procedurally complex and highly technical in nature.
Having said that, my areas of practice include:
- Drinking and driving offences,
- Domestic assault,
- Drug charges,
- Property offences,
- Sexual assault,
- Violent crimes, and
- Youth crimes.
I have successfully defended clients in all levels of court as well as quasi-judicial administrative bodies, including:
- The Supreme Court of Canada,
- The Alberta Court of Appeal,
- The Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta (including for Summary Conviction Appeals and with more than 40 jury trials),
- Provincial Court (Criminal, Traffic, and Youth Division),
- The Law Enforcement Review Board,
- The Traffic Safety Board, and
- The Driver Control Board.
Community Involvement and Outreach
I value engaging with my community. I am a returning Guest Lecturer at my alma mater, the University of Calgary Faculty of Law. I have also been invited to speak at countless events across Alberta, including for the Canadian Bar Association: Criminal Law Subsection. As a Criminal Defence Lawyer, I strive to continue learning and keep my legal education current. Therefore, I enjoy taking the opportunity to learn from other experts in my field by participating at professional seminars.
Whether I am speaking at events for law students, legal professionals, or members of the public, engaging with my community and building my area of law are very important to me.
Some of my past and present community engagements include:
- Addressed the Canadian Bar Association Criminal Law Subsection;
- Contributor, “A Parent’s Handbook Concerning Drug Use” (author Dr. K. Wayne Hindmarsh Ph. D., current Dean of the College of Pharmacy University of Toronto);
- Guest Lecturer, Intensive Trial Advocacy Program, University of Calgary Faculty of Law (2015 – 2023);
- Guest lecturer on Sexual Assault, Advanced Criminal Law Course, University of Calgary Faculty of Law (2019 – 2021);
- Guest lecturer, 2019 Annual Educational Conference of the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench Justices;
- Guest lecturer, 2018 Provincial Court of Alberta Judges Conference;
- Invited to Parliament by the late Governor General of Canada, the Honourable Ramon John Hnatyshyn, for his assistance in helping Canada’s youth in the area of drug abuse;
- Lectured on Impaired Driving, University of Calgary Faculty of Law;
- Lectured at Numerous Seminars in Calgary and Edmonton for the Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA);
- Speaker, Parents Research Institute for Drug Education (P.R.I.D.E.);
- Volunteer and Instructor, Law Society of Alberta Bar Admission Course; and
- Wrote numerous papers for LESA including the most recent: “Production of Third-Party Records in Sexual Offences” and “Evidence of Prior Sexual Activity.”
How I can Help
If you have been charged with a criminal offence, you need a talented and meticulous Criminal Defence Lawyer in your corner. With over 30 years of legal experience, and an extensive track record of success, I can be that advocate for you.
Contact me today for a free consultation, and judge for yourself.